Highlights of The Program
The Anesthesiology Training Program at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is a unique one. We are a comfortably sized categorical residency-training program (40 residents total, 10 residents per PGY class) with a surplus of teaching cases in three major teaching hospitals.
Resident Didactics and Conference
- PGY level based morning conference (CA-0/1 and CA-2/3) every weekday from 6:30-7:00 AM
- Monthly POCUS workshops
Mind Body Medicine Program
At the start of CA-1 year, residents embark on a weekend-long retreat on the beautiful Eastern Shore of Maryland, where they learn to practice meditation and mindfulness, focusing on relationship building, self-awareness, and stress reduction. Two faculty facilitators and each resident cohort meet monthly during protected non-clinical time for the remainder of the 3 year residency.
- 2,000 open-heart procedures/year (WHC)
- Adult liver, kidney, pancreas and pediatric liver and small bowel transplants (GUH)
- Level 1 trauma center and acute burn unit (WHC)
- 3,000 OB cases/year (GUH and WHC)
- Acute, Chronic and Cancer Pain Center (GUH)
- Basic and advanced pediatric cases (GUH and CNMC)
- Large critical care unit with 24/7 attending coverage (GUH)
- Robust CA-3 regional anesthesia rotations (GUH and WHC, as well as CA-3 rotation at Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC)
- Georgetown University Hospital
– 1:2 attending to resident coverage during daytime hours
– 2 attending anesthesiologists in-house overnight and weekends
- Washington Hospital Center
– 3 attending anesthesiologists in-house overnight and weekends
- Children’s National Medical Center
– 1 attending anesthesiologist in-house overnight and weekends
- Located on historic Georgetown University campus
- Washington is unparalleled in the diversity of people, activities, and opportunities it has to offer
- Georgetown University Hospital is a part of MedStar Health, which is the Largest healthcare system in Baltimore/Washington DC
- $3,000 for books, supplies, meetings.
- Full Department sponsorship when presenting at national meetings (independent of $3,000 book fund money)
- ASA, DCSA, IARS memberships, ACE program, AKT and In-Training exams funded by Department
- Free parking at all training sites
- Competitive House Staff Salaries
- Generous benefits package (health, dental, life, disability, etc).