March-April 2018 eNewsletter
- Congratulations to Jung Kim and Mausam Kuvadia, our new Chief Residents for the 2018-19 academic year!
- ACGME Updates: The residency program has earned another year of “continued accreditation” status during the January meeting of the Resident Review Committee. The pre-site visit Self Study document has been distributed to everyone for review and will be submitted this month to the ACGME. New initiatives will be rolled out over the next 18 months prior to our October 2019 site visit.
- Results from the 2018 ABA In-Training Examination have been received. Congratulations to the following top scorers from each residency class!
- R-4: Andrew Winn
- R-3: Jung Kim
- R-2: Stephen Yang
- R-1: Chase Ferrell & Andy Liao
- We had an outstanding Match Day on March 16. We look forward to welcoming the following new members of our department in June:
- Ivy Co – University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Bonnie Diora – West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine
- Jennifer Huo – Kansas City Univ. of Medicine & Biosciences College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Stephen Kwong – Georgetown University School of Medicine
- Samuel Lawrence – Georgetown University School of Medicine
- Brandon Madsen – Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
- David Melnick – Georgetown University School of Medicine
- Lamie Nguyen – University of Rochester School of Medicine
- Jay Patel – Saint Louis University School of Medicine
- Michael Tripp – Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine
- CJ Lion – Georgetown University School of Medicine (PGY-2)
- Sarah Ren – Tulane University School of Medicine (PGY-2)
- ongratulations to Kurt Wagner who was selected as “Resident of the Quarter” for January – March 2018. Sarah Reece-Stremtan from Children’s National Medical Center submitted the nomination. John Myseros (neurosurgery) wrote the following email:
We operated on a 4 mo, 5 kg baby with a massive, hypervascular brain tumor. The case was anticipated to be formidable, with heavy blood loss. The mortality from these surgeries is high. From the very beginning, Dr. Geng-Ramos was attentive and aggressive with blood loss/return. The baby became coagulopathy with malignant brain swelling, and we had to end the surgery, lest we lose him on the table, which we did not. I wanted to let you know what a wonderful job they and their residents/fellows/ assistants did. I appreciate the excellent care and expertise. These are the most challenging and potentially disastrous cases, and frankly, they kept this baby alive.
Dr. Reece-Stremtan added: “I personally had never dealt with such a high blood loss before, and Kurt Wagner did a fantastic job.”
Please begin working on your annual mandatory SiTEL modules. They are
- Mid-Atlantic Anesthesia Resident Research Conference: April 20-22, 2018 – West Virginia University
- MedStar Health Research Symposium: April 30, 2018 – Marriott Bethesda.
- ABA BASIC Examination: June 8-9, 2018
- MedStar Health PGY-1 Orientation: June 14-15, 2018
- Class of 2018 Graduation Night: Saturday, June 16, 2018 – Key Bridge Marriott
- Pre-CA-1 Anesthesia Boot Camp and Orientation Week: June 25-29, 2018
- MedStar Health PGY-2 Start Date: July 8, 2018
- CA-1 Mind-Body Medicine and Wellness Retreat: August 17-19, 2018 – Aspen Wye Resort
- Jessica Ivey was selected for a Resident Clinical Instructor Award by the anesthesiology assistant Class of 2018 from the Case Western DC program. She will be honored at a reception on April 14.
- Mausam Kuvadia was selected as the first place abstract in the resident category for the 2018 MedStar Health Research Symposium. Her work on “Infection Prevention in the Anesthesia Work Environment” received one of the highest scores among nearly 150 abstract submissions and has qualified for an oral presentation at the symposium.
- Mausam Kuvadia was also selected as the 2018 Foundation for Anesthesia Education and Research (
FAER) Resident Scholar. She will attend the 2018 ASA Meeting and present her research at a special FAER symposium.
- March 9 – Jeremy Becker
- March 11 – Emma Reese
- April 2 – Cathy Lee
- April 4 – Kurt Wagner
- April 4 – Elena Mrozowski
- April 23 – Jessica Ivey